European Breakdown Cover FAQs

Got a question? ...Chances are somebody else has already asked us that...

Click on a question below to reveal the answer.

European Breakdown Cover is a breakdown insurance policy that covers you should your vehicle break down whilst driving in continental Europe.

With a 24 hour a day, 365 day a year service and helpline, European Breakdown Cover offers you peace of mind that you’re covered for roadside assistance, being taken to a local repairs garage, or even being transported back to the UK if necessary.

These services are not usually covered in standard UK breakdown cover policies, and so without European Breakdown cover you could find yourself having to pay for these expenses, that could run into hundreds of pounds, yourself.

European Breakdown Cover starts from as little as £5 per day. The actual costs vary based on if you’re buying a single trip or annual multi-trip policy, the age of the vehicle, length of the trip, and if any add-ons are included.

To get a European Breakdown Cover quote for your trip click here!

European Breakdown Cover must be arranged prior to your departure and for the entire duration of your trip abroad.

Yes, we can provide cover for you if you’re towing a caravan or trailer.

If you require a replacement vehicle, we will try to provide a vehicle of similar size to the insured vehicle but replacement caravans and trailers cannot be provided.

Voyager to Europe is specifically designed to cover you if you breakdown while on holiday in mainland Europe. If you breakdown in the UK as part of your trip then you are covered. It does not cover you for breakdowns that occur in the UK that are not a direct journey between your home and your international departure point.

As long as you have a manufacturer approved way of dealing with a flat tyre then you will be covered by the policy. This includes run-flat tyres/ sealant gel.

No, unfortunately we cannot cover Hire Cars.

Unfortunately, we cannot insure any vehicle over 15 years old from first registration with this policy

Continental Europe - Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canaries, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madeira, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Romania, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom and Vatican City.

This policy does not cover trips within the United Kingdom, Channel Islands or Isle of Man other than during the direct journeys between your home and your international departure point.

Yes. As long as the vehicle fits the definition of 'Insured Vehicle' in the policy wording it can be covered. This dictates that it must be in a safe and roadworthy condition and must not be over 7 metres in length, 3 metres high and 2.3 metres wide and no more than 3,500kgs in weight - including load. Nor must you be carrying more than 8 passengers.

Yes. Motorcyles must fit the definition of 'Insured Vehicle' in the policy wording, and as such must be in a safe and roadworthy condition, and must be a motorcycle over 150cc.

The maximum size of the vehicle we can cover is governed by the recovery vehicles used. Under this policy the max dimensions are 7 metres long, 3 metres high and 2.3 metres wide, and no more than 3,500kg in weight (including any load)

The vehicle must not exceed the number of persons recommended by the manufacturer up to maximum of 8 persons, including the driver. Please note that our breakdown cover covers the vehicle rather than the occupants.

Yes, the breakdown cover is for the vehicle. Any member of your party can drive the vehicle provided they have your permission and they have the appropriate licenses for the vehicle. If the vehicle has been hired they must also meet the requirements of the hirer.