How to help prevent travel plans being ruined by COVID-19
Voyager Plus Travel Insurance have suggested a few things to look out for and questions to ask, that may help, when booking your next holiday.
Although the UK Government have given the go ahead to ending many of the current COVID related restrictions, including international travel, there are still a number of questions surrounding travel due to COVID-19 and its unpredictability causing hesitancy amongst travellers. Will flights be cancelled? What happens should I need to rearrange? Is the hotel flexible should I need to cancel? Will accommodation be COVID-safe?
These are just some of the questions that continually reappear because travellers are unsure of what they should look out for or how they can help themselves feel more informed, secure and have peace of mind when booking their trip. That's why Voyager Plus Travel Insurance have suggested a few things to look out for and questions to ask, that may help, when booking your next holiday.
While some airlines have made modifications to their booking policies to add some flexibility in terms of moving flights for travellers, it is ‘worth its weight in gold’ being able to understand what is and is not offered specifically by your chosen airline. Be sure to review any exemptions, alternative ticket options and whether the validity of your flight changing is limited to a specified time frame or involves any additional costs.
Some questions to ask when booking your flights include:
- Does any flexibility apply if the flight is already discounted?
- It there a time limit as to when changes can be made prior to the flight?
- Can a voucher change a flight more than once? Are there any additional costs to do this?
- Is there a time period within which a flight voucher has to be used?
Could it be cheaper to buy another ticket rather than purchasing a higher cost flexible ticket?
Well-known hotel chains, independent accommodation and highly favoured booking platforms such as Airbnb, Expedia and Booking.com will all differ in how they approach flexibility, cancellation and rearrangement. So, ensure you read the ‘small print’ in their booking terms and conditions.
Here’s some questions to ask before booking:
- Does cancellation outside a certain time period incur a fee or mean you won’t get your money back?
- Does cancellation due to changing Government restrictions entitle a refund?
- Will you need to provide medical proof in order to receive a refund or to rearrange dates if you are unfortunate enough to contract COVID-19 shortly before your trip? If so, what is this required evidence?
- Are any booking fees applied for changing booking dates?
- How much notice is needed to cancel or reschedule a booking?
Wherever you decide to enjoy a holiday this year and beyond, it’s important not to forget to buy your travel insurance. Voyager Plus Travel Insurance now includes the following cover to protect you if you are unfortunate enough to contract COVID-19:
- Cancellation cover as a result of COVID-19 - Cancellation cover as a result of COVID-19 applies if it is necessary and unavoidable to cancel your planned trip. You may be covered for cancellation as a result of testing positive for COVID-19 within 14 days of the trip departure date, or should you be admitted to hospital due to testing positive for COVID-19 within 28 days of the trip departure date.
- Emergency Medical Expenses & Repatriation - Emergency Medical Expenses specifically relating to COVID-19 provides you with additional financial protection for accommodation and travel expenses should you need to extend your trip because you have tested positive for COVID-19.
Voyager Plus Travel Insurance policies also include cover for the following:
- Emergency Medical Expenses up to £10,000,000
- Cancellation or Curtailment up to £10,000
- Baggage up to £3,500
- Missed Departure / Journey Disruption up to £1,000
- Personal Liability up to 3,000,000
- And much, much more.
So, if you are planning on travelling abroad, it’s important to ensure you're protected with a suitable and extensive travel insurance policy from Voyager Plus.
You can get a Voyager Plus Travel Insurance quote by visiting www.voyagertravelinsurance.co.uk or by calling our helpful team on 01483 806 680.
This article is for information and entertainment purposes only. It does not constitute advice in any way. The information provided here is correct at the time of writing however please check the latest policy wording here for the latest policy terms, conditions and exclusions.